In response to the COVID-19 and health concerns, and in concert with Governor Inslee's emergency proclamation, revisions are being made to regular operations of business. Press Release - COVID- 19
Community Development / Engineering - Our hours of operation are: Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, excluding holidays but availability is limited due to Covid-19 Restrictions.
Please note: Inspections will be performed on Tuesday and Thursday only. ***Revised for Week of June 29 through July 3 for 4th of July Holiday schedule- Inspections on Tuesday and Wednesday only ***
- 360-423-9922 - Building, Planning & Nuisance Abatement
- 360-423-6590 - Engineering
- For over the counter permits (permits that do not require plan review or review/approval by another department, like residential re-roofing, plumbing, HVAC) please use our on-line portal
- Completed applications for all other permit types requiring submittals and plan reviews will be accepted via mail with a check for the predetermined plan review fee amount or by arranged drop off to City Hall by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . If dropping off submittals or picking up apporved permits, please call or email in advance to make sure someone will be here to meet you. Lunch is between 1:00 and 2:00. Our permit technician will assist in making payment on-line where possible.
- Links for permit applications: Building applications and checklists , Engineering permits
- Any permits requiring a public hearing or meeting will not be issued until such time as the public hearing or meeting statutory requirements can be met, presumably once the Governor’s Proclamation has been amended to allow such meetings or the Proclamation has been rescinded altogether.
- Once review is complete and approved, permits will be issued upon request with the following disclaimer: “The issuance of this permit does not authorize any construction or other activity in violation of any law, expressly including the Governor’s Emergency Proclamations and related Guidance Memoranda.”
- Inspection of “essential activities” as defined by the Governor’s Proclamation and related Guidance Memoranda will be performed if it is possible for the inspector to do so safely.
The Kelso Building Department issues permits for all new construction within the Kelso city limits. This involves the detailed examination of building plans, calculations, and specifications for compliance with building, plumbing and mechanical codes, as well as, field inspections of all aspects of construction and its various component parts and systems.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Permit Counter Information
- Permit Application Forms & Documents
- Online Permitting
- Inspections - Inspections are conducted Monday through Thursday, 10:00 am to noon.
- Plan Reviews
- Monthly Permitting Reports
- Building Code & Zoning Code Information
- When do I need permit?
- Permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, or demolish a building or structure; change the use of a building; or erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system. Some projects do not require a permit including fences under 6 feet tall if they meet setback requirements.
- When do I need a building permit? (and when I don't)
- Fence Setbacks
- Electrical Permits
- The City of Kelso does not issue electrical permits. For electrical permits and electrical inspections, contact Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) at (360) 575-6900 or www.lni.wa.gov/.
- Fire & Life Safety Permits
- All fire, life, and safety permitting is submitted to and issued through Kelso's Building Department. Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue conducts the city's fire related plan reviews. For specific fire code questions, contact Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue at (360) 578-5218 or visit http://c2fr.org/.
- Contractor Licenses
- Contractors are required to have a valid Washington State Contractor's License and Kelso Business License.
- Kelso Business Licenses are connected to your state UBI number and are purchased online at Washington State DOR Business Licensing Services. Contact Kelso Finance at (360) 423-0900 with questions.
- Homeowners performing the work on the home that they live in are not required to have a license.
- How Do I Apply for a Permit?
- Permit Fees
- Visit the city's Master Fee Schedule.
- Building Code & Zoning Code Information
- Location: Kelso City Hall, Second Floor, 203 S. Pacific Ave., Kelso, WA 98626
- Phone: (360) 423-9922
- Email: email@example.com
- Hours: Permit application intake and permit issuance hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- For general building and planning information, a department receptionist is available Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Several of the over-the-counter permits are now available online through our portal, including:
This portal requires you to create an account. Your account is useful for:
- Applying for Permits
- Paying for permits
- Viewing and printing permits,
- Checking the the status of payments
- Scheduling inspections
The City's Building Department provides inspection services for sign and demolition permits, as well as, residential and commercial inspections of mechanical, plumbing and building permits.
- Inspections are conducted Monday through Thursday, 10:00 am to noon.
- No inspections will be conducted on Fridays.
- Inspection requests must be received by 4:30 pm for next day inspections.
- Final inspection requests require 48 hours notification.
- To schedule inspections, please call (360) 423-9922.
Check to see if your inspection has been scheduled:
- The complexity and completeness of all plans will affect the review time of construction projects.
- For new construction projects east of Interstate 5, a current geotechnical report will be required at time of plan submittal.
Use the Building Permit Application for the following:
- Building Permit Application - Used for both Commercial & Residential Building
- Building Permit Checklist - Commercial
- Building Permit Checklist - Residential
- Demolition Permit Application
- Fire Sprinkler Affidavit
- Grading Permit Worksheet
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Sign Permit Application
- We are currently in the process of updating and creating additional forms. If you do not see what you are looking for, please feel free to contact our office.
Click on the links below to see ongoing reports of building, mechanical, pl;umbing and engineering permits that we forward to Cowlitz County once a month.
- City of Kelso Development Code
- City of Kelso Zoning Code
- City of Kelso 2017 Zoning Map (What zone is my address in?)
- Table of Permitted Uses (What type of buildings are permitted in certain zones?)
- Southwest Washington ICC Plans (Examples of basic residential plans)